A house at 100 Railroad Lane in Sorrell was partially damaged by fire Thursday, according to reports from Fire Protection District 11 Chief Clarence Clark. The department arrived on scene nine minutes after the call at 1:15 p.m. to find fire on the side of the structure. Clark said the blaze was under control at 1:52 p.m. The district responded with five apparatuses and 12 firefighters and mutual aid was received from Jeanerette, Chitimacha, Baldwin and Grand Marais fire departments. A total of 23 firefighters were on scene. Clark reminds homeowners never to plug a heavy load into extension cords. Also, he said, smoke detectors play an important role in detecting emergency. Residents may sign up for detectors by coming to the central station at 1205 Big Four Corners Road.